Complete the incursion analysis mission in Icarus unlocks Avalanche Expedition. In it, you will have to cross an impassable area using a high-tech device. here is our Icarus guide to help you with the Avalanche Expedition, Steam Laser, Biofuel Generator, and Mammoth enemies.
To note: For more information, see our Icarus guides and features hub.
Icarus: Avalanche Expedition Guide – The Steam Laser, Biofuel Generator, and Mammoths
The Avalanche Expedition mission to Icarus rewards 600 gold coins upon completion. You can see the objectives and points of interest marked on the map below:
- B4: Dropship – This is where you will land.
- G7: Caves – There are several caves in this region, but three can be found in G7.
- F7: Laser – You need this device to break through the impassable terrain.
- F8 / G8: Avalanche – Technically, reaching this location is the first objective of the mission.
- I7: Last Zone – We’ll go here after we’ve completed most of the tasks.
- D7 and E8: Out of Bounds – Try to avoid going to these areas as they are out of bounds.
Mining in the caves and building the Fabricator
The reason you’ll want to visit the Avalanche Expedition caves at Icarus it’s because we need level 4 devices. Yes, this is another long-term effort similar to Payday Extraction.
As mentioned earlier, G7 has three caverns that you can explore, and a few more can be found in other areas. As usual, watch out for cave worms and pneumonia disease. You can build a mini shelter to start or dig large rocks. Do this while you are just farming materials (i.e. a lot of gold, steel, and aluminum for the maker).
Here is what you need:
- Electronics (Tier 3 / Machining bench)
- 1x Refined Gold – Requires 2x Gold Ore and any type of furnace.
- 3x Copper Ingot – Requires 2x Copper Ore and any type of furnace.
- 2x Organic Resin – Requires 1x Wood and 1x Oxite; made using a mortar and pestle.
- 2x epoxy – Requires 4x crushed bone or 2x sulfur and 4x tree sap; made using a mortar and pestle.
- Lots of electronics are needed for the remaining crafting blueprints.
- Manufacturer (level 4 / machining bench)
- 60x Electronics – Discussed above.
- 8x Steel Ingot – Requires 1x Steel Flower; made using a concrete kiln or an electric kiln.
- 30x Steel Screw – Use the Machining Bench to transform 1x Steel Ingot into 100x Steel Screw.
- 40x Aluminum Ingot – Requires 1x Aluminum Ore; made using a concrete kiln or an electric kiln.
- 30x Concrete Mix – Requires 8x stone, 4x silica and 1x tree sap; made using a cement mixer.
- Tree Sap – Requires 4x stick; made using a mortar and pestle.
- Cement Mixer – Requires 50x Wood, 40x Stone, 20x Iron Ingot, 8x Rope, and 8x Iron Nail; made using a machinist’s bench.
- 8x carbon fiber – Requires 1x carbon paste.
- Carbon paste – Requires 1x silica, 1x aluminum ingot, 4x organic resin and 2x epoxy; made using a mortar and pestle.
The steam laser
Either way, our initial goal is to hit F8 / G8. Once you see the area on the mountainside that collapsed due to the avalanche, you will be given an objective to find the steam laser. This one is located just above a ridge at F7. You may need to build several ramps just to reach it (see above).
After picking up the steam laser, go back to F8 / G8 and “hang” on the outline of the raised rock formation. Beware of predators here as they seem to congregate around this area. Either way, you can’t activate the Vapor Laser yet because you still need power.
The biofuel generator
In our Fuel and Pomegranates guide, we discussed the basics of making biofuel in Icarus. Here’s the gist:
- Biofuel can (level 3 / machining bench) – You’ll only need one.
- Biofuel composter (level 3 / machining bench) – This can be placed outside a shelter. Add the biofuel can, along with tons of tree sap, wood, and sticks, into the slots on the device. It may take several minutes to fill the biofuel container.
Likewise, don’t forget that you need a means of feeding:
- Biofuel generator (Tier 4 / Manufacturer)
- 12x Electronic
- 8x copper ingot
- 20x steel ingot
- 20x steel screws
- 2x glass – Requires 1x silica; made using a concrete kiln or an electric kiln.
- Electricity tool (Tier 4 / Fabricator)
- 20x copper ingot
- 8x refined gold
- 4x carbon fiber
The biofuel generator in Icarus is used to power high-tech devices like the Vapor Laser. As you can see in the image above, I placed it in a mini shelter next to the steam laser (keep one side open facing the craft).
Next, assign a keyboard shortcut for the Electricity tool. With the Electricity tool selected, left click on the biofuel generator to reveal a thin wire. Then left click on the Vapor Laser to connect the two objects. You can add a wall with a window opening to make the game believe that the biofuel generator is inside a shelter. After that, you can place the filled biofuel canister into the generator slot.
Note 1: You can right click on the wire to delete it (in case it breaks). However, it can be a bit tricky even if your cursor is on the wire itself.
Note 2: You can build wooden ramps that allow you to climb over rocks along the side of the hill. This could be useful, as you will find out soon enough.
Eliminate the mammoths and complete the Avalanche Expedition mission by Icarus
When you’re ready, activate the biofuel generator and steam laser. Then quickly run to the top of the rocks using the ramps I mentioned. The steam laser will fire three bursts, destroying the landslide.
However, this also causes the appearance of three mammoths. These gargantuan beasts will assault you and they pack a punch. Fortunately, they won’t be able to hit you if you’re in a higher position, and you can easily shoot them with your bows or guns.
After killing the mammoths, go through the opening. You are then asked to check an area to the northeast (I7). Head to the location indicated (you might run into a few wolves here and there).
Once you achieve it, the goal will be complete. Return to the transport ship in B4 to complete the Avalanche Expedition mission in Icarus.
Icarus is available through Steam. For more information, check out our guides and feature hub.