For years, iPhone users have had to depend on third-party apps to generate 2-Factor Authentication (2FA) codes. These codes act as an additional layer of security for online accounts. When you activate 2FA, websites and apps will ask you to enter an expiring one-time code. The prompt usually appears after entering your email / username and password correctly. These codes are time-based and are typically updated every 30 seconds. Thanks to the latest iOS update, you can now generate them without using third-party apps. Here’s how to use the new 2FA code generator on iOS 15.
How to use the new 2FA code generator on iOS 15
- Start the Settings application on your iPhone.
- Scroll until you see Passwords. Click on it.
- Your iPhone will ask you for Face / Touch ID or enter your device password.
- Once you have authenticated, you will see a list of passwords that you have saved in Apple Keychain.
- If the service you want to secure is listed, click on it to view it.
- However, if it is not in the list, click the plus (+) button in the upper right corner.
- Fill in the blanks – website, username / email and password.
- Click on Ended in the upper right corner, and the details of the new service (website, username / email and password) will be displayed.
- Press on Configure verification code.
- iOS will ask you to choose between entering a setup key and scanning a QR code.
- Using another device, go to your account settings on the website / app of the desired service and activate 2FA.
- You will be given a QR code and / or a configuration key. You can use either to configure the code generator, so choose the one you prefer from the iPhone prompt. If you don’t have another device, you can copy the setup code from the website / app, then go to the Settings app to paste it into the Passwords section, when prompted.
- Once you have scanned / added it, the expiring 2FA code in the Passwords iphone section Settings app will appear on the service details page.
- Whenever you try to log into the service and it asks for your 2FA code, go to Passwords, and press the code to copy it
It is very important to use 2FA, when it is offered by a service. This additional layer of security protects you against hacking and phishing attempts. So even if someone has your login credentials, they still won’t be able to log in directly.
Are you using 2FA on your online accounts? Let us know in the comments section below.